Children: custody and access

When couples separate decisions need be made as to with whom and where the children will reside.
Custody means the parent who has the care and control of the children. Very often this is shared between the parents particularly when the couple are married. Many parents are agreeable to joint custody. They essentially have a joint parenting arrangement even though the children may well reside for a greater percentage of the time with one parent. A parent who has the children for the greater portion of the time is often referred to as the primary carer.

Access is the time spent with the parent who is the non-primary carer. Issues in relation to the custody and access to children can unfortunately often involve lengthy and costly court disputes. Mediation/collaborative law are a good alternative means of having your concerns heard.
Any decisions agreed can then be incorporated in a separation agreement or Court Order if required.